Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm Getting Old

As some of you know, I'm a assistant coach for one of my nephew's youth tackle football team. I recently found out out the hard way that I don't have the "moves" I used to have when I was a young buck. I'm sure some of you guys can relate. We men tend to think that even though we may be getting old and fat, we still think that we possess the ability to do the things we used to do back when we were young and in shape...Wrong!

Two days ago, while I was running through some defensive back drills with the kids, I felt and heard a "POP" in the middle of my left calf muscle. David, the teams head coach even heard it and he was more than fifteen yards away from me! It felt like somebody hit me in the leg with a baseball. I thought,"Unbelievable, now what do I do"? Thankfully, my sister Shelly was there watching from the side lines so she volunteered to drive my "Fred Sanford" walking self to a nearby med clinic.

Well three days later, I'm on crutches. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor on Monday. My calf muscle is a little swollen but not discolored, and I also can put some pressure on it. I'm hoping and praying that this is not too serious because Ole' Ron needs two healthy legs to work. Plus, who in this day and age can afford to miss work?

So what's the lesson learned here guys? Stretch, Stretch, and Stretch!! You really have to take the time to stretch your body before you do ANY kind of exercise. Aging is a painful reality.

UPDATE
My leg will be fine. Some muscle tear but nothing serious...Thank God!

6 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger DeanAaron said...

PREACH PREACHER !!

I fill your pain.

paw-paw

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubba... I know you think that you still got the moves, but we both know that neither one of us have em anymore. I like your site. Keep up the good work and call me if I can do anything for you. Why dont you try to answer your phone sometimes when I call and let me know how the team is doing. Cant wait till our beloved Tigers get it started and kick some serious butt this season. Maybe we can make it to a game sometimes. Let me know when some of the games are so I can bring the boys to watch Coach Ron in action.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Ron, I have scanned (with ultrasound) many middle aged men playing weekend warrior sports for calf injuries. Most of the time you can see where there was bleeding within the muscle fascia -the tough tissue surrounding muscle bundles - which can be painful since the pressure has no where to go.If the pain and swelling continues, see if you can get an U/S done on the calf. It will show if there is any significant bleeding but not just a muscle tear - a tear is too small. There is even a remote chance of the developement of a blood clot (DVT) but probably not. I will pray for rapid and full recovery. Call me if you have any questions.
What about the Mike Wallace interview with Iran's dictator tonight? I am expecting some Ron's World insightful commentary soon.
George W.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Ron said...

Dean,
We all know you can relate!

Bubba!!
I figured I would get a few "Weekend Warriors" like your self to respond on this topic.

Toby Kieth's right! "I ain't as good as I once was..."

"Dr" George Waites,
Thanks! I know if there is anybody who would know about leg injuries, it would be the "Scan Man" himself.
The swelling has gone down and I can put more pressure on the calf w/o much pain. I've been stretching it while wrapping it with heat. So the calf feels like it's healing fine, but still very tender. I'll get it checked out today.

Wallace and Rather are soul mates!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Dionne said...

I'm glad it wasn't something serious. We all know stretching is important but hate to do it but this is a good reminder of what can happen.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Ron said...

Dee,
I'm stretching my leg now.:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home