Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Are You A Internet Addict?

From Breitbart.com

Researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine in Silicon Valley said their telephone survey indicated more than one of every eight US residents showed at least one sign of "problematic Internet use".

The findings backed those of previous, less rigorous studies, according to Stanford.
Most disturbing was the discovery that some people hid their internet surfing, or went online to cure foul moods in ways that mirrored alcoholics using booze, according to the studies lead author, Elias Aboujaoude.

"In a sense, they're using the Internet to self-medicate," Aboujaoude said. "And obviously something is wrong when people go out of their way to hide their Internet Activity".

According to preliminary research, the typical Internet addict was a single, college-educated, white male in his 30's, who spends approximately 30 hours a week on non-essential computer use.

So, how about you guys? Anybody need to go to IA (Internet Anonymous)? Seriously, I can understand being addicted to things that make you feel good, but do we always have to label every habitual behavior, or routine as an addiction? Like it's some kind of a disease? If alcoholism is a "disease", I guess the same can be said for those who can't turn the computer off.

For me, I may spend an hour or so surfing the net depending on how late it is, then I've had enough. Of course, I enjoy surfing the blogs but that's about it. I get bored and start watching the TV, or reading a good book. But I know that there are times when the net can be a distraction from my troubles, but I don't see it becoming an issue or a problem. I guess that makes me a "social net surfer".

6 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

I have had my moments in the past ;)

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Ron said...

CT,

The Net can especially be tough on us guys, no doubt.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Dionne said...

Well, I call blogging my hobby and creative outlet but my husband calls it my addiction. I spend plenty of time on real life so I figure I've got a good balance :-). It's all a matter of perspective.

And I'm with you on do we have to label everything an addiction or disease. Sheesh!!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

oh wasn't even meaning to imply that issue...if you throw that in the mix, I've had way more than just a moment...but by the grace of God, I'm free =)

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Gayle said...

A person can become addicted to almost anything. I am addicted to political blogging, but I don't think it's a bad addiction and I don't want a cure for it. It is basically a way for me to inform as many people as possible as to what is going on in this country. So I shall keep my "addiction" because it's a helpful one.

People want to label everything these days, and I'm sure this ridiculous study was done with our tax dollars. That makes me nuts! Our money could be so much better used than to sponser these left-wing loonies.

I attempt to hide what I'm doing when I surf by deleting cookies regularly, not because I'm doing anything wrong but because I don't like companies sending me advertisement e-mails that I don't want to have to bother with. It is wise to use spyware and delete as many cookies as possible. The only cookies I leave on the pc are profiling cookies, so I don't have to continuously sign in to places like blogger or Halo Scan. Therefor, I say their survey is whacked, because it doesn't take into account the reason for trying to hide your internet surfing. What idiots!

Yes, there are many on the internet who are very rude and obnoxious. I get them as visitors to my blog daily. They don't get published because I don't allow that type of behavior. So the survey is right on one point... many people use the internet to say things that they wouldn't dream of saying to people in real life.

Interesting post! :)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Sin is the disease. There is only One cure. Death to self. Anything short of that is putting the patient on life support only to live to fail yet another day. The internet addiction is just another sign and symptom of the disease manifesting itself. George.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home